Thursday, December 29, 2011

Going Commando

Sweets is usually a verrrry regular pooper. He wakes up, eats breakfast, and then you may as well hand him a newspaper, because within 10 minutes you are going to be changing a poopy diaper. But a few days ago, he woke up with a dirty diaper and I have no idea how long before he woke that he pooped (i.e. I don't know how long that poop was sitting against his skin). When I changed him I discovered a nasty rash. Since he's not a kid that's prone to diaper rash, the intense redness and bumps alarmed me. For the first day I tried using Lansinoh pure lanolin on the rash, along with plain warm washcloths when I changed him. He cried and cried when I dabbed his little heiny, and my heart broke.

By the second day, it was redder and angrier looking, and with Christmas only 2 days away, I opted to consult my pediatrician's office. They wanted to see him, so off we went to the doctor, where we learned that it was in fact just a very nasty rash. The doctor suggested a few things to help clear it up quickly and prevent discomfort - A & D ointment (we've only ever used Boudreaux's Buttpaste, but he said he prefers the A & D on a bad rash because it doesn't sting going on, and it contains lanolin, which I like as well), oatmeal and baking soda baths, and letting Sweets go diaper-less as much as possible. Done, done, and done!
I'm usually a fan of more natural products, but I was open to trying the A & D, and I was really happy with it. It goes on easily and didn't make Sweets cry. I won't use it on a daily basis, but it's good to have on hand for times like that.

The oatmeal and baking soda bath was easy to make! I just ground 1/3 of a cup oatmeal in my mini food processor and added 2 tablespoons of baking soda.

When I ran Sweets' bath that evening, I dumped it in and swirled it around and it resulted in this rather murky looking, but apparently soothing concoction:

Sweets liked it :)

And the grand finale:

Yep. That's my child going commando in his shirt and a pair of football babylegs. And yes, I cleaned up a fair amount of pee that afternoon. But I'm ok with it. I just wanted his tushie to heal up!

No comments:

Post a Comment