Monday, February 18, 2013

Black Bean Quesadilla {Toddler Meal Idea}

Hubs is away on a snowmobiling trip this week, so when I planned my menu I went for easy basics that I knew Sweets would like. I don't mind eating toddler-friendly all week, and who wants to slave away in the kitchen for just yourself and a two year old? But, if you know me, you know that nutrition is still at the top of my priority list. I kind of made up this recipe for black bean quesadillas after reading that black beans are a toddler superfood. Sweets really liked them, and he asked for seconds, which is a true sign of success around here!

Black Bean Quesadillas

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 avocado
Shredded cheddar cheese
Whole wheat tortillas 
Sour cream (for dipping)

I usually just buy a can of refried beans, but I really wanted to make them them from black beans (and save on sodium in the process!), and it was SO easy. Just puree your beans in the food processor after draining and rinsing the bean sludge off of them. Then put them in a medium saucepan with enough chicken stock to reach spreading consistency. Add the spices and simmer for a few minutes - you're done! 
Spread a tortilla with beans and mashed avocado; sprinkle with cheese. Fold in half and place in a pan with a little olive oil until the tortilla gets crispy and the cheese melts. Serve with sour cream for dipping (or, if your kid is more adventurous than mine, salsa). 

Dip, dip, dipping away.

Oh, the heck with dipping, I'll just lick the sour cream from the bowl.

Sour cream goatee!

No comments:

Post a Comment