Monday, August 27, 2012

Good, (mostly) clean country fun

Our house is a case of a country mouse married to a city mouse. My husband is the country mouse. And while I do love and appreciate the country, I am a suburban girl - give me expressway access and a grocery store 10 minutes away and I am a happy camper. But I'll be the first to admit that the country has a lot to offer, and we've had a lot of fun this summer taking advantage of its wholesome entertainment.

Exhibit A: The All Colors Tractor Show. I collect shoes, but it turns out there are people out there who collect tractors, and make quite the hobby out of attending tractor shows. Under normal circumstances you would not be able to convince me to attend such a thing, however, I have a child who is obsessed with tractors, so his enjoyment is mine as well.

This looked like a fun photo op to me. However seconds after it was taken, Bitchy Tractor Lady came storming over to inform me that this tractor "hadjustbeenpaintedgethimoffnow!" Ok, ok, I understand the fresh coat of paint thing, but manners still apply. Even at a tractor show. 

This, according to Hubs, is the only color of tractor worth having. Red tractor people will disagree. I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said "Crops are green. Tractors are red." My, my, who knew how divisive an issue this could be???

ONLY my husband could run into someone he knows at a tractor show.

Here's Sweets with Grandma G. It totally made his day when a very nice tractor owner offered to let him sit on this big, big, big John Deere! 

Exhibit B: The County Fair. Hubs and I try to go to his hometown county fair yearly. It really is fun - the midway, the rides, the exhibits, the greased pole competition (oh yeah, that's what I said) and OMG the fair food! Two years ago, I was in labor with Sweets and we still debated going (in the end we opted out simply because it's an hour away and I didn't feel like giving birth in a livestock barn if things happened fast). This was the first year we took him, and it was so much fun!

At the tractor pull. Yup, I think this officially qualifies me as a Boy Mom.

Checking out the goats with Grandpa G. 
He seemed to like looking at the animals, but refused to touch them.  

Except for the bunnies...he LOVED the bunnies! One woman had a litter of baby bunnies out for the public to pet, and let me tell you, Sweets was twitterpated!

We did manage to convince Sweets to pet this little calf (who was so stinking adorable I wanted to take him home with me, until I remembered that adorable little calves become large, stinky cows).

And what's a trip to the fair (or anywhere, really) without a tractor sighting? 

Future farmer. 

OH my goodness, can you stand the cuteness? He was so proud to drive this little blue car all by himself (and there *may* have been a temper tantrum when the ride was over). We have a little video on my camera of him riding the cars, and every so often he asks to see it, and then totally melts down because I don't have a blue car for him to drive Right.Now. Ahhh, two, such a magical age ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment