Sunday, October 7, 2012

Big Boy Room!

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: I was totally not looking to move Sweets into a big bed. He was sleeping great in his crib and never tried to climb out. I told myself he could sleep there until college if it meant we were all getting some frickin' sleep (if you've been reading this blog for any length of time you know I am still carrying around the trauma of not sleeping for a year). And then my parents' super nice neighbor had to go and mention that they had a super nice bedroom set they were looking to sell for a super reasonable price and well, I had to change my plan. The problem, you see, is that the bed is a rather large setup, and we had nowhere to store it until I was actually ready to transition him to a bed. So we set it up in his room, but left the crib up as well, and let him set the pace. He took to it immediately, so I, in my infinite "wisdom" took the crib down (it's a small room, people, can you blame me?) and sleep has been iffy ever since. Naps are a complete nightmare and it's making me nuts.

But, on the bright side, I sure did have fun transforming Sweetie Pea's room from nursery to a little boy's space! If you want to see what it looked like before, see my nursery post. I did not want to change the color of the walls or the wainscoting, but I did want it to reflect what he loves: planes, trains and automobiles!

This is the new view when you walk in the door. The bed really is neat, and it's perfect for a small space because both the dresser and the desk fit underneath. The desk slides in and out, which is great, because he won't need it for a few years yet.

This thing was a beast to put together. I truly hope we never have to move it.

I hunted high and low for the perfect bedding, and I found this adorable set of Frolics train sheets at my local Homegoods (LOVE Homegoods so much!). 

I made a racing flag bunting for above the bed. Sweets "helped" me hang it up ;)

On the other wall over the bed, I made these framed prints. My mom actually bought these neat "Roommates" brand adhesive decals for his room at their house, and she didn't use them all, so she gave me what was left. I knew they'd be great in his transportation-themed room, but they didn't show up well on the red walls, so the framing really helped them stand out. 

Oh Craigslist, how I love you. You provide me with things I didn't even know I was looking for. Case in point: this adorably vintage biplane that I picked up for $20. It is the perfect touch!

Shelving for knick knacks, photos and books. 

I tried to create a little reading nook near the bookshelf by adding that little corduroy chair pillow on the floor, since climbing in and out of that loft bed can be tricky for us big people.

More adhesive decals, plus the ever-so-necessary sound machine, a new lampshade, and the "What are little boys made of?" needlework.

An old license plate, mini oil can, and my favorite little sign top one of the floating shelves.

Atop the other are Sweetie Pea's name blocks, a framed photo of us on his birthday, and his John Deere bank. I tried to keep this on a lower shelf, but he thought it was great fun to dump out all the coins every day. 365 times a day. So it got moved.

The Rest Area sign was an ebay find and I think it's so cute! Originally the bed came with plastic, sea foam green drawer pulls. I wanted to replace them with something original, so I bought 10 unfinished wooden knobs for .98 each and painted them to look like wheels. They're not perfect, but they add a fun, whimsical touch to the room and Sweets' likes them, so that's all that matters :)

Imagine my joy to find these two sheet sets on clearance at Target (no seriously, I was practically dancing in the aisle when I saw them)! Vintage race cars and diggers for $8.98 a set? Sold! 

So there you have it. My baby is officially a big boy. Sniff. It's such a mixed bag of emotions, am I right mamas?

 

2 comments:

  1. it is like something out of a magazine!! super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, it looks adorable! Also- I just had a flashback to our college loft beds. ;)

    ReplyDelete