Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday Dinner

I love Sunday dinner. Whether it's sharing a meal with family or just the three of us, there is something so cozy about sitting down to a homecooked meal at the end of a productive weekend. And recently, Sunday dinner has become my chance to try out more complicated Pinterest recipes that I would never attempt during the week. Hubs is always anxious to see what's on the menu when Sunday afternoon rolls around!

Today I actually made two meals - one for tonight's dinner, and one for tomorrow. I'd been wanting to make one of our favorites - butternut squash soup - for awhile now, but it's too time consuming to make on a busy weeknight. So with Sweets peacefully napping (hallejuah) I got a pot of this butternut squash and apple soup simmering on the stove for dinner later this week. This is not my usual recipe, but I was drawn to it because it has white beans in it, providing a healthy serving of protein.


I love that this will feed us a couple of dinners and probably some lunches too. It made a HUGE amount! Nothing is better than arriving home at the end of the workday and knowing all you have to do for dinner is heat it up.

For tonight's dinner, I was SO excited to try a honey-brined roast chicken. I was inspired by the organic brined chickens I saw at Trader Joe's last week, but they were a bit pricey. Not one to back down from a culinary challenge, I decided to brine my own chicken. Did you know buying a whole roaster is super economical? Our grocery store carries them for like five bucks! On Saturday morning, I made the brine, submerged the chicken, and stuck it in the fridge for 24 hours. Today I drained it, rinsed it, and roasted it for 1 1/2 hours and this is what came out of the oven:


OMG. It was to.die.for. Seriously. The best chicken we have ever had. Ever. We gorged ourselves, and Sweets gobbled it up too. It was unbelievably flavorful, tender and moist, and for the first time, we are crazy excited about chicken leftovers!


I served it with roasted sweet potatoes and green beans with garlic herb butter. It was the perfect Sunday dinner! If you've never tried brining, don't be afraid, brine away!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment