Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Time Warp Tuna Chowder


I am about to introduce you to one of our favorite new dinner recipes around here. It's amazing for so many reasons: it's fast (ridiculously, super fast, like lightspeed from the time you start cooking to the time you're eating soup, hence why I call it Time Warp Tuna Chowder), it's cheap, and it's GOOD.

In addition to watching Sweets on Fridays, my mom will often text me in the middle of the day and say "I'm making soup/chicken parm/something equally delicious for dinner, do you want me to make you some too?"I jokingly refer to this as Mom's Takeout, but it really is awesome to not only pick up my son at the end of a long week, but dinner too! Recently, this recipe was on the Friday takeout menu, and it's appeared in our dinner rotation multiple times since. I usually have most of the ingredients on hand, but let's just say I had to buy everything (except milk and chicken boullion, I always have those) - this chowder would cost me:
Can of tuna   .99
Small bunch of celery    .99
Box of scalloped potatoes     1.59
Can of creamed corn     .49
Total = $4.06    For a hot, comforting dinner!

It makes great lunch leftovers, too. Whip up a pot today, you won't be sorry!

You will need:

4 cups water
1 teaspoon chicken boullion
1 box scalloped potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
1 can tuna
2/3 cup milk
1 can creamed corn

In a medium pot, combine water, boullion, celery, scalloped potatoes and sauce mix. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, Add tuna and milk, simmer 10 more minutes. Add corn, heat through. BAM! Eat some chowder.

No comments:

Post a Comment